The Gemba walk allows leaders within an organization to see how and where the work is
actually done. It gives them a chance to gather information through interaction and
observation so they can reconcile their perceptions with reality. If done well, a Gemba
walk encourages openness, collaboration, and teamwork across all levels of the
The Gemba Walk Interview
answers the following questions.
- What are the detailed steps of our current process?
- Who are the people involved in this process and what can we learn from
- Where are inefficiencies?
- Which steps add value? Which steps add waste?
- Open the Gemba Walk Interview
Sheet during the Gemba walk and use it to collect information as you walk the
- Select to add images of the interview and the
environment in which they work.
- Use the list of Interview Questions to guide your interview.
- Under Summary, enter your observations, potential opportunities for improvement, and
solutions to discuss later. Do not find fault, suggest change, or disregard
employee input during the Gemba walk.
- Gather a team to discuss the results of the Gemba walk. Refer to the
completed Gemba Walk Interview
Sheet to review what you learned and strategize next steps.
- Return to the Gemba to follow up with employees and observe improvements.
For more information, go to Add and complete a form.