The survival probabilities indicate the probability that a product survives until a particular time. Use the survival probabilities to do the following:
- Determine whether your product meets reliability requirements
- Compare the reliability of two or more designs of a product
The survival probabilities for each failure mode of the water pump data indicate the following:
- 84% (or 0.842215) of the water pumps survived without bearing failures for at least 60,000 miles
- 75% (or 0.751962) of the pumps survived without gasket failures for at least 60,000 miles
- 64% (or 0.641975) of the pumps survived both failure modes for at least 60,000 miles
To have the greatest impact on improving the reliability of the pumps, the engineers should focus on improving the gaskets.