A chemist for a pharmaceutical company wants to determine whether the mean reaction time for a newly developed antacid is less than 12 minutes.
- Open the sample data, AntacidReactionTime.MTW.
- Open the randomization test for 1-sample mean dialog box.
- In Sample, enter Time.
- In Hypothesized mean, enter 12.
- Select Options.
- From Alternative hypothesis, select Mean < hypothesized value.
- Enter 1 in Base for random number generator.
Using Base for random number generator ensures that your results match the example.
- Click OK.
Interpret the results
The alternative hypothesis states that the mean reaction time is less than 12 minutes. Because the p-value is 0.203, which is greater than the significance level of 0.05, the chemist fails to reject the null hypothesis and cannot conclude that the mean reaction time is less than 12 minutes. The histogram shows that the bootstrap distribution appears to be normal, so the chemist can trust the results.
H₀: μ = 12
H₁: μ < 12